Employment Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Work Hours: 35 hours per week (Monday to Friday, 8:00am-4:00pm)
Salary: $37,917 annually (L1), plus comprehensive benefits
Location: 80 Woodlawn Avenue East, Toronto, Ontario M4T 1C1
Internal Application Deadline: Wednesday, October 4, 2023
External Application Deadline: Friday, October 6, 2023
JOIN OUR TEAM
YWCA Toronto strives to uphold anti-discrimination practices and anti-oppression principles to ensure that the rights of all individuals are respected and protected. We work to promote a climate that is welcoming of all women and individuals who identify as trans, intersex, non-binary, agender, and/or Two-Spirit. We encourage applications from women and gender diverse people from all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations.
The Assistant Caretaker is responsible for performing janitorial duties and assisting with building maintenance. Duties include cleaning the site according to schedules, grounds keeping, refuse removal and assisting with building repairs.
ABOUT YWCA TORONTO
YWCA Toronto is dedicated to improving the lives of women, girls and gender diverse people. Our programs promote equality, economic security and lives free from violence. We help women, youth and gender diverse people flee violence, secure housing, find jobs, establish their voices, enhance skills and develop confidence. We offer a range of housing options, employment and training programs, community support programs, girls’ programs and family programs. We also engage in systemic advocacy.
- Responsible for daily and cyclical cleaning of lobbies, corridors, stairwells, offices, public washrooms, elevator cabs, meeting and common rooms;
- Clears snow and ice from parking areas, roadways, walkways, stairwells and entryways as required; sands/salts these areas as required;
- Assists the Caretaker with general upkeep and minor repairs to all areas of the building and building equipment including: minor carpentry, electrical, plumbing, and painting;
- Assists the Caretaker with exterior maintenance of the property including: winter maintenance, weed and hedge trimming, lawn cutting, seasonal cleanup and garbage clean up;
- Assists with moving equipment, supplies and furniture as required;
- Assists with light bulb and smoke detector replacement as required;
- Some heavy lifting and strenuous labor at times will be required;
- Performs other maintenance duties as required.
- A generalized education at the high-school level plus job related courses with technical training in electrical, plumbing or building maintenance;
- Minimum of 1-3 years janitorial experience;
- Basic computer skills for Dayforce entries, keeping inventory records, and use of the Internet and email;
- Minimum of 1 – 3 years building maintenance experience;
- WHMIS certified;
- Effective oral communication, and organizational skills;
- Interpersonal skills to maintain cordial, productive and effective relationships with staff and tenants;
- Ability to work within a team setting;
- Ability to interact in a respectful and professional manner with a diverse community of women and young women within shelter and housing environments;
- Understanding the issues of homelessness, poverty, and discrimination facing women and girls
- Must have sufficient physical mobility and strength to perform job requirements;
- Ability to lift 25 kilograms; physically capable of extended periods of physical exertion, including frequent periods of standing, bending or lifting.
Vaccination Policy: In accordance with YWCA Toronto’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, all YWCA Toronto employees, students and volunteers are strongly encouraged to obtain all COVID-19 vaccinations and booster doses as recommended by Toronto Public Health.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and résumé to Jack Mangal, Facilities Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote JOB ID number PROP959 and your name in the subject line.
Please note: A vulnerable sector police reference check is required by the successful candidate prior to hiring. YWCA Toronto is a unionized workplace. Staff are represented by CUPE Local 2189. This position is within the Bargaining Unit. Please indicate on your cover letter, if you are an internal candidate. For internal applicants, this position is not secondable.
YWCA Toronto promotes the principles of anti-oppression and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women and gender diverse people of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations.
YWCA Toronto provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted, please advise us if you require any accommodation. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
YWCA Toronto is a Scent-Sensitive Workplace.
Posting date: September 25, 2023
Compensation$37,917 annually (L1), plus comprehensive benefits
How to ApplyPlease submit your cover letter and résumé to Jack Mangal, Facilities Manager at email@example.com. Please quote JOB ID number PROP959 and your name in the subject line.
About YWCA Toronto
YWCA Toronto is an association by, for and about women, girls and gender diverse people. Our programs promote equality, economic security and lives free from violence. We offer a range of housing options, employment and training programs, community support programs, girls’ programs and family programs. We also engage in systemic advocacy.