Employment Type: Relief
Work Hours:Varied as needed
Salary: $20.83 per hour
Location: 80 Woodlawn Avenue East, Toronto, ON, M4T 1C1
Application Deadline: Friday, December 1, 2023
JOIN OUR TEAM
YWCA Toronto strives to uphold anti-discrimination practices and anti-oppression principles to ensure that the rights of all individuals are respected and protected. We work to promote a climate that is welcoming of all women and individuals who identify as Trans, intersex, non-binary, agender, and/or Two-Spirit. We encourage applications from women and gender diverse people from all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations.
The Relief Cook is responsible for preparing and serving meals, cleaning the serving area and cafeteria, and assisting the Food Services Co-ordinator in the preparation of meals and snacks.
ABOUT YWCA TORONTO – 1st STOP WOODLAWN
1st Stop Woodlawn Shelter, funded by the City of Toronto, provides 62 shelter beds to women and gender diverse people including 28 beds for individuals 16 years of age and older, who are in need of shelter or fleeing violence. This includes Second Stage Supportive Housing for participants not ready for independent living. The Housing program provides advocacy referral and support to participants in the shelter and to those who have moved into the community. The Transitional Support program provides aftercare to participants and their children through group work, counselling and connecting women and gender diverse people to supports.
· Prepares and serves breakfast daily in a cafeteria setting;
· Assists the Food Services Co-ordinator in the preparation of meals and afternoon snack as required by the Toronto Shelter Standards;
· Orders food, dishes and silverware supplies, and purchases supplies as needed in consultation with the Food Services Co-ordinator;
· Shop for food items as needed and prepares for following day’s meals;
· Stores unused food supplies properly to meet health regulations and prevent spoilage; locks food storage area;
· Washes dishes and stores them overnight and locks storage area;
· Cleans food preparation and serving areas, ensuring that all health regulations are met;
· Cleans cafeteria daily, including tables, counter, and vending machines; sweeps and washes floor;
· Cleans kitchen appliances including refrigerators, storage freezer, tables, counters, stoves, sinks and floor;
· Empties and cleans garbage cans daily;
· Reports equipment problems and cleaning supplies needs to the Food Services Co-ordinator;
· Assists with Special Events at 1st Stop Woodlawn Residence e.g. Annual Meeting, Special Events.
· High school diploma or equivalent;
· 1 to 3 years’ experience in food handling and food preparation (Cases for Equivalency will be considered);
· Completed Food Handlers Certificate;
· Completed Toronto Shelter Standards training;
· Knowledge of second language an asset;
· Ability to maintain a positive approach and a professional manner at all times;
· Ability to interact with a diverse community of women and young women within shelter and housing environments;
· Experience working in a residential setting an asset;
· Experience working with culturally diverse population.
Vaccination Policy: – In accordance with YWCA Toronto’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, all YWCA Toronto employees, students and volunteers are strongly encouraged to obtain all COVID-19 vaccinations and booster doses as recommended by Toronto Public Health.
HOW TO APPLY
Please click or copy and paste the link in your browser to apply
Please note: A vulnerable sector police reference check is required by the successful candidate prior to hiring. YWCA Toronto is a unionized workplace. Staff are represented by CUPE Local 2189. This position is not within the Bargaining Unit. Please indicate on your cover letter if you are a YWCA Toronto Employee. For YWCA Toronto Employees this position is not secondable.
YWCA Toronto promotes the principles of anti-oppression and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women and gender diverse people of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations.
YWCA Toronto provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted, please advise us if you require any accommodation. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
YWCA Toronto is a Scent-Sensitive Workplace.
Posting date: November 20, 2023
Compensation$20.83 per hour
How to ApplyPlease click or copy and paste the link in your browser to apply https://ywcatoronto.applytojob.com/apply/POH12bhk00/Relief-Cook?source=Connect
About YWCA Toronto
YWCA Toronto is an association by, for and about women, girls and gender diverse people. Our programs promote equality, economic security and lives free from violence. We offer a range of housing options, employment and training programs, community support programs, girls’ programs and family programs. We also engage in systemic advocacy.