Employment Type: Full-Time, Contract
Work Hours: 35 hours per week
Salary: $55,939 annually (Level 7), plus comprehensive benefits
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Contract Start Date: September 18, 2023
Contract End Date: September 18, 2024
Internal Application Deadline: Friday, August 18, 2023
External Application Deadline: Monday, August 21, 2023
JOIN OUR TEAM
YWCA Toronto strives to uphold anti-discrimination practices and anti-oppression principles to ensure that the rights of all individuals are respected and protected. We work to promote a climate that is welcoming of all women and individuals who identify as Trans, intersex, non-binary, agender, and/or Two-Spirit. We encourage applications from women and gender diverse people from all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations.
The Business Administrator is responsible for assisting the Manager with financial, administrative and IT training and support duties relating to the smooth operation of the Women’s Shelter and other programs under the supervision of the Manager. She works within a collaborative team to provide meaningful and relevant services within a theoretical feminist framework that includes a working knowledge of the dynamics and effects of trauma and oppression.
ABOUT YWCA TORONTO – WOMEN’S SHELTER
YWCA Women’s Shelter has been in operation since 1991. The shelter provides safe and secure emergency shelter for women and their children who are fleeing violence. YWCA Women’s Shelter is staffed 24 hours a day and can welcome up to 11 families at one time in our 33 bed shelter. There is also a Transitional and Housing Support program that provides support to women who have left the shelter as they settle into the community.
- Assists the Manager of the Women’s Shelter in developing, analyzing and monitoring budgets for the Women’s Shelter, and the Transitional Support program associated with the Women’s Shelter;
- Prepares financial reports for a variety of funding applications;
- Reviews and analyzes computerized financial statements and maintains accurate records of revenue and expenses;
- Prepares monthly per diem reports and invoices for submission to the City of Toronto;
- Prepares invoices for payable and receivable accounts;
- Supervises relief staff at the Women’s Shelter;
- Assigns relief shifts and reviews log entries in database to ensure case data has been entered accurately;
- Completes administrative duties as outlined in YWCA Shelter policies and procedures;
- Maintains, records, and compiles program statistics and prepares reports and correspondence;
- Responsible for office equipment and troubleshooting including IT training and support to staff;
- Co-ordinates maintenance tasks with the Property Services Department;
- Ensures that the Health and Safety Guidelines are followed in accordance with the policies and procedures YWCA Toronto;
- Assists with other duties as required, enhancing the smooth and efficient operation of the shelter and kitchen program and Shares on-call duties;
- In-depth knowledge of commerce, business administration, accounting or office management which is normally acquired through completion of a community college diploma (Cases for Equivalency will be considered);
- 3 to 5 years directly related experience in business coordination, including experience in a social services setting;
- Supervisory experience;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in general accounting practices essential;
- Excellent computer skills, word processing, and experience with database software, office and accounting programs (i.e. Word, Excel, Power Point, GP Dynamics accounting software);
- Knowledge of office equipment and ability to troubleshoot and fix problems;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and experience in report writing;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Experience working in a multi-service, multi-tasked environment required;
- Ability to maintain a positive approach and a professional manner at all times;
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of issues facing women such as a mental health challenges, homelessness and violence within a trauma framework;
- Ability to interact with a diverse community of women within shelter and housing environments;
- Demonstrated experience in working under pressure and remaining calm in a crisis;
- Demonstrated crisis intervention and conflict mediation skills.
Vaccination Policy: In accordance with YWCA Toronto’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, all YWCA Toronto employees, students and volunteers are strongly encouraged to obtain all COVID-19 vaccinations and booster doses as recommended by Toronto Public Health.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and résumé to Carol Hines-DaCosta, Manager, YWCA Women’s Shelter at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote JOB ID number WMSH932 and your name in the subject line.
Please note: A vulnerable sector police reference check is required by the successful candidate prior to hiring. YWCA Toronto is a unionized workplace. Staff are represented by CUPE Local 2189. This position is within the Bargaining Unit. Please indicate on your cover letter and email subject line if you are an internal candidate. For internal applicants, this position is not secondable.
YWCA Toronto promotes the principles of anti-oppression and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women and gender diverse people of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations.
YWCA Toronto provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted, please advise us if you require any accommodation. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
YWCA Toronto is a Scent-Sensitive Workplace.
Posting Date: August 9, 2023
CompensationSalary: $55,939 annually (Level 7), plus comprehensive benefits
How to ApplyHOW TO APPLY Please submit your cover letter and résumé to Carol Hines-DaCosta, Manager, YWCA Women’s Shelter at email@example.com. Please quote JOB ID number WMSH932 and your name in the subject line.
About YWCA Toronto
YWCA Toronto is an association by, for and about women, girls and gender diverse people. Our programs promote equality, economic security and lives free from violence. We offer a range of housing options, employment and training programs, community support programs, girls’ programs and family programs. We also engage in systemic advocacy.