Employment Type: Part-Time, Permanent
Work Hours: 28 hours per week (including evenings and weekends)
Salary: Prorated $44,751 annually (Level 7), plus comprehensive benefits
Location: 389 Church Street Toronto, Ontario M5B 2E5
Internal Application Deadline: Friday, November 17, 2023
External Application Deadline: Monday, November 20, 2023
JOIN OUR TEAM
YWCA Toronto strives to uphold anti-discrimination practices and anti-oppression principles to ensure that the rights of all individuals are respected and protected. We work to promote a climate that is welcoming of all women and individuals who identify as Trans, intersex, non-binary, agender, and/or Two-Spirit. We encourage applications from women and gender diverse people from all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations.
The Part-Time Studio Facilitator is responsible for coordinating the daily program of Inspirations Studio including managing the space, communicating studio practices and policies, and liaising with the Manager on member access and public pottery classes/ workshops. The position also coordinates core members’ program including outings, Master Potters’ workshops, custom pottery orders, on-line and in-house shops, Bi-annual Holiday Market and Open House, and pottery team building exercises. The responsibilities are to be carried out in accordance with the mission and policies of YWCA Toronto.
ABOUT YWCA TORONTO – INSPIRATIONS STUDIO
Inspirations Studio provides studio access, storefront selling opportunities and arts education for women and gender diverse people who have experienced marginalization. Through creative, therapeutic and skill-building work, participants gain self-confidence and stability while connecting to community, gaining a source of supplemental income, and finding a new way to engage with the world as makers. Since 1994, Inspirations Studio has served hundreds of marginalized women and gender diverse people and helped to transform their lives.
· Teaches new intake classes and workshops for partner agencies;
· Ensures materials and equipment are operational and cleaning protocols are followed;
· Collaborates with Studio staff in coordinating throwing, building, glaze making, clay recycling and firing of pottery to completion;
· Promotes a positive work environment for participants, customers and staff as well as engaging and building relationships with members and providing supports, de-escalation and crisis intervention as needed;
· Implements different activities of the program such as teaching, hand building and throwing of clay;
· Assists the Manager in the storefront and maintains the online shop;
· Develops and maintains current and relevant materials including workshop materials for the program;
· Works closely with the Manager for coordinating, planning and implementing of networking and outreach activities;
· Assists the Manager with monthly calculations of members sales including their clay expenses; liaising with the Manager and Finance Manager as required;
· Maintains records and compiles program statistics; prepares reports and correspondences and conducts follow up calls.
· In-depth knowledge of an academic discipline normally acquired through completion of an undergraduate degree in Art, with a specialization in ceramics or an undergraduate degree in a related field with an equivalent of a two-year degree in ceramics (Cases for Equivalency and Demonstrated experience will be considered);
· 3-5 years demonstrated expert knowledge and experience working in ceramics and teaching ceramics courses;
· Knowledge of hand-building clay, wheel throwing, pugging, slab rolling and kiln loading, glaze making and firing;
· Adult education training an asset;
· Excellent interpersonal skills and awareness of issues affecting women and girls;
· Experience working in a pottery studio, including health and safety practices;
· Knowledge of and training in trauma-based care, conflict resolution and de-escalation and anti-oppressive practices;
· Counselling approach that is flexible, de-escalates tension, teaches conflict resolution and is focused on success;
· Experience working with volunteers and in customer service environments;
· Excellent customer service skills important;
· Ability to work within an anti-oppression, feminist framework;
· Ability to deliver culturally sensitive services in a multicultural environment;
· Demonstrated ability to work under pressure;
· Ability to handle crisis situations effectively both in person and by telephone;
· Strong organizational and interpersonal skills;
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
· Proficiency in Microsoft Word, e-mail and the Internet;
· Ability to maintain a positive approach and a professional manner at all times.
Vaccination Policy: In accordance with YWCA Toronto’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, all YWCA Toronto employees, students and volunteers are strongly encouraged to obtain all COVID-19 vaccinations and booster doses as recommended by Toronto Public Health.
HOW TO APPLY
Please click or copy and paste the link in your browser to apply:
Please note: A vulnerable sector police reference check is required by the successful candidate prior to hiring. YWCA Toronto is a unionized workplace. Staff are represented by CUPE Local 2189. This position is within the Bargaining Unit. Please indicate on your cover letter if you are an internal candidate. For internal applicants, this position is not secondable.
YWCA Toronto promotes the principles of anti-oppression and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women and gender diverse people of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations.
YWCA Toronto provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted, please advise us if you require any accommodation. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
YWCA Toronto is a Scent-Sensitive Workplace.
Posting Date: November 8, 2023
CompensationProrated $44,751 annually (Level 7), plus comprehensive benefits
How to ApplyHOW TO APPLY Please click or copy and paste the link in your browser to apply: https://ywcatoronto.applytojob.com/apply/hESYmPWlpw/PartTime-Studio-Facilitator?source=akimbo.ca
About YWCA Toronto
YWCA Toronto is an association by, for and about women, girls and gender diverse people. Our programs promote equality, economic security and lives free from violence. We offer a range of housing options, employment and training programs, community support programs, girls’ programs and family programs. We also engage in systemic advocacy.