Employment Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Work Hours: 35 hours per week (Sunday to Thursday, 11:00pm – 7:00am)
Salary: $49,329, annually (L5), plus comprehensive benefits
Location: 348 Davenport Road, Toronto, Ontario, M5K 1K6
Internal Application Deadline: Thursday, August 17, 2023
External Application Deadline: Monday, August 21, 2023
JOIN OUR TEAM
YWCA Toronto strives to uphold anti-discrimination practices and anti-oppression principles to ensure that the rights of all individuals are respected and protected. We work to promote a climate that is welcoming of all women and individuals who identify as Trans, intersex, non-binary, agender, and/or Two-Spirit. We encourage applications from women and gender diverse people from all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations.
The Front Desk Support Worker is responsible for welcoming and providing supportive reception service and works within a collaborative team to create a meaningful and relevant environment for participants within a feminist framework. This includes a skilled response to and knowledge of the dynamics and effects of trauma, mental health and oppression. The position is also responsible for completing administrative duties necessary to ensure the smooth operation of the front desk.
ABOUT YWCA TORONTO- YWCA DAVENPORT
YWCA Davenport provides up to 80 emergency shelter beds to young women and gender-diverse people (16 – 24 years of age) and adult women and gender-diverse people (25 and older). YWCA Davenport is staffed 24 hours a day. This pet friendly shelter is funded by the City of Toronto and adheres to Toronto Shelter Standards.
- Greets and directs participants, contractors and suppliers to the site;
- Answers telephone and in person inquiries regarding YWCA Davenport; directs calls to the appropriate staff or program including property services, security, on call, frontline staff and management;
- Maintains building entry, ensuring access to authorized persons only;
- Handles client complaints and issues with tact and diplomacy, de-escalating the potential for conflict;
- Receives and distributes all incoming supplies and other deliveries for the programs including courier; sorts and distributes incoming mail;
- Applies knowledge of the issue of trauma and the dynamics of abuse to respond effectively to tenant request for support;
- Assists in providing orientation to new residents to ensure familiarity and understanding of programs, staff and community environment;
- Provides maintenance requests from the residents and staff to the appropriate property services staff.
- Completion of an undergraduate university degree in a relevant field (e.g. Social Work); (Cases for Equivalency will be considered);
- 1-3 years directly related work experience in shelter environment;
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills;
- Knowledge of harm reduction framework;
- Knowledge and experience in de-escalating conflict and responding to crisis situations;
- Toronto Hostel Training Centre’s certificate an asset;
- Ability to use equipment relevant to the position (i.e. computer, phone system, security monitoring)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to deliver culturally sensitive service in a multicultural environment;
- Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Experience working with diverse individuals and groups within the shelter environment (e.g. cultural diversity, gender, abilities, religion, race, sexual orientation, etc.);
- Demonstrates knowledge of and experience working with women living with experiences of precarious housing, poverty, violence/trauma, and mental health/concurrent addictions issues;
- Knowledge and experience working from an anti-oppression framework and trauma informed practices;
- Knowledge of a second language an asset;
- Ability to think independently, possess good judgment, demonstrate proven problem-solving skills and effective decision-making skills.
Vaccination Policy: – In accordance with YWCA Toronto’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, all YWCA Toronto employees, students and volunteers are strongly encouraged to obtain all COVID-19 vaccinations and booster doses as recommended by Toronto Public Health.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and résumé as a single document to: Melissa Furlano, Associate Manager of YWCA Davenport at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote JOB ID number DAV931and your name in the subject line.
Please note: A vulnerable sector police reference check is required by the successful candidate prior to hiring. YWCA Toronto is a unionized workplace. Staff are represented by CUPE Local 2189. This position is within the Bargaining Unit. Please indicate on your cover letter if you are an internal candidate. For internal applicants, this position is secondable.
YWCA Toronto promotes the principles of anti-oppression and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women and gender diverse people of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations.
YWCA Toronto provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted, please advise us if you require any accommodation. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
YWCA Toronto is a Scent-Sensitive Workplace.
Posting Date: August 8, 2023
CompensationSalary: $49,329, annually (L5), plus comprehensive benefits
How to ApplyHOW TO APPLY Please submit your cover letter and résumé as a single document to: Melissa Furlano, Associate Manager of YWCA Davenport at email@example.com. Please quote JOB ID number DAV931and your name in the subject line
About YWCA Toronto
YWCA Toronto is an association by, for and about women, girls and gender diverse people. Our programs promote equality, economic security and lives free from violence. We offer a range of housing options, employment and training programs, community support programs, girls’ programs and family programs. We also engage in systemic advocacy.