Employment Type: Part-Time, Contract
Work Hours: 14 hours per week (Thursday 10:00 am-6:00pm, Saturday 12:00 pm-8:00pm)
Salary: $20.83 per hour (L1)
Location: 80 Woodlawn Avenue East, Toronto, Ontario, M4T 1C1
Contract Start Date: December 7, 2023
Contract End Date: November 23, 2024
Application External Deadline: Monday, December 1, 2023
JOIN OUR TEAM
YWCA Toronto strives to uphold anti-discrimination practices and anti-oppression principles to ensure that the rights of all individuals are respected and protected. We work to promote a climate that is welcoming of all women and individuals who identify as Trans, intersex, non-binary, agender, and/or Two-Spirit. We encourage applications from women and gender diverse people from all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations
The Part-Time Cook is responsible for preparing and serving nutritionally balanced meals, cleaning the kitchen, serving area and cafeteria. This position is also responsible for assisting the Food Services Co-ordinator in the planning of meals and snacks in a multi service residential and shelter setting.
ABOUT YWCA TORONTO – 1st STOP WOODLAWN
1st Stop Woodlawn Shelter, funded by the City of Toronto, provides 62 shelter beds to women and gender diverse people including 28 beds for individuals 16 years of age and older, who are in need of shelter or fleeing violence. This includes Second Stage Supportive Housing for participants not ready for independent living. The Housing program provides advocacy referral and support to participants in the shelter and to those who have moved into the community. The Transitional Support program provides aftercare to participants and their children through group work, counselling and connecting women and gender diverse people to supports.
· Prepares and serves meals, snacks and bag lunches in a cafeteria setting;
· Under the direction of the Food Services Co-ordinator assists in the planning and preparation of meals as required by Toronto Shelter Standards;
· Stores unused food supplies properly to meet health regulations and prevent spoilage; monitors equipment;
· Records temperature of steam table, fridges and freezer;
· Washes dishes and stores the dishes overnight; locks the storage area;
· Cleans food preparation and serving areas, ensuring that all health regulations are met;
· Cleans cafeteria and garbage cans daily; sweeps and washes floor;
· Cleans kitchen appliances, utility and storage rooms regularly;
· Assists the Food Services Co-ordinator with ordering food, kitchenware and supplies as needed;
· Shops for food items as needed;
· Prepares and plans meals for special events and programming;
· Assists with the delivery and storage of food and supplies used in all meal preparation;
· Some heavy lifting required;
· Ensures that residents use appropriate safety gears and follows safety precautions during food preparation.
· High school diploma or equivalent; (Cases for Equivalency will be considered);
· Food Handler Certification and nutrition training;
· WHMIS training required;
· 1 to 3 years’ experience in food handling and food preparation;
· Experience in cooking culturally diverse meals in a large residential setting;
· Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment with competing demands;
· Ability to interact with a diverse community of women with complex needs, many of whom are living with mental health challenges;
· Ability to maintain a positive approach and a professional manner at all times;
· Completed Toronto Shelter Standards training an asset;
· Knowledge of second language an asset.
Vaccination Policy: – In accordance with YWCA Toronto’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, all YWCA Toronto employees, students and volunteers are strongly encouraged to obtain all COVID-19 vaccinations and booster doses as recommended by Toronto Public Health.
HOW TO APPLY
Please click or copy and paste the link in your browser to apply
Please note: A vulnerable sector police reference check is required by the successful candidate prior to hiring. YWCA Toronto is a unionized workplace. Staff are represented by CUPE Local 2189. This position is not within the Bargaining Unit. Please indicate on your cover letter if you are a YWCA Toronto Employee candidate. For YWCA Toronto Employees, this position is not secondable.
YWCA Toronto promotes the principles of anti-oppression and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women and gender diverse people of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations.
YWCA Toronto provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted, please advise us if you require any accommodation. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Posting date: November 20, 2023
YWCA Toronto is a Scent-Sensitive Workplace.
Compensation$20.83 per hour
How to ApplyPlease click or copy and paste the link in your browser to apply https://ywcatoronto.applytojob.com/apply/btD3BvoSz9/PartTime-Cook?source=Connect
About YWCA Toronto
YWCA Toronto is an association by, for and about women, girls and gender diverse people. Our programs promote equality, economic security and lives free from violence. We offer a range of housing options, employment and training programs, community support programs, girls’ programs and family programs. We also engage in systemic advocacy.