Program Overview – Crisis Outreach Service for Seniors, Community Care
This position works on behalf of WoodGreen in an inter-agency, multi-disciplinary Crisis Outreach Service for Seniors with mental health and addiction issues. This service is offered through a partnership between Woodgreen, Haven Toronto, South Riverdale Community Health Centre, Reconnect Community Health Services and LOFT Community Services with the goal of ensuring a continuum of care for seniors with mental health and substance use issues.
What You Will Do
· Participate in crisis shifts; going out to visit clients in their homes or other community locations with a partner.
· Assist with assessing client needs, developing, and implementing service plans with short and long-term objectives.
· Provide short-term intensive case management services to a caseload of seniors with mental health and substance use issues, including ongoing assessment, supportive counseling, service navigation and care coordination.
· Assist clients to access acute care and emergency services when appropriate, and help facilitate client discharges from local emergency departments.
· Assist with monitoring clients, identifying additional needs, and reactivating supports.
· Assist in liaising with convalescent care, transitional care, acute care, emergency departments, rehabilitation centres, and complex continuing care to ensure that clients who have been hospitalized have appropriate follow-up services.
· Refer clients and caregivers to a range of community resources, including meals, drop-in centres, social recreational programs, clothing exchanges, etc.
· Work with other team members and partner agencies to develop and implement strategies that reduce client/caregiver dependencies on acute care and emergency departments.
What You Bring to the Team
· BSW or related undergraduate degree.
· Registration with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers or a related regulatory body.
· Requires two (2) years of related experience in crisis support, the ability to mediate conflict, and demonstrated experience working with seniors.
What Will Set You Apart
· Demonstrated experience in crisis support/intervention.
· Demonstrated experience supporting seniors with mental health and substance use issues from a recovery and harm reduction approach.
· Proven ability in case management and supportive counselling skills.
· Strong assessment skills.
· Demonstrated interpersonal skills.
· Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
· Ability to carry out service documentation requirements in a timely and professional manner.
· Demonstrated information and referral skills and the ability to link clients to supportive services.
· Self-directed and independent, but also experienced in working effectively as a member of multi-disciplinary team.
· Proven ability to minimize barriers through service delivery for low-income individuals with mental health and substance abuse issues.
· Ability to work from a client-centered approach.
· Knowledge of issues affecting older adults and geriatric populations.
· Knowledge of the health sector, community resources, and related services.
· Demonstrated ability to follow policies, procedures, and adhere to legislation.
· Understanding of clinical practices and care models.
· Ability to exercise good judgment, flexibility, and contribute to the effective functioning of a multi-disciplinary interagency Crisis Service focused on older adults.
· Applied computer skills (MS word, excel, and Internet).
· Ability to use case management software is an asset (Pirouette).
· Ability to communicate in another language is an asset.
· Ability to work flexible hours, weekends, and statutory holidays as required.
How to ApplyPlease email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
About WoodGreen Community Services
Who We Are
A United Way Anchor Agency, WoodGreen combines significant scale and a proven track record with an entrepreneurial mindset, continuously seeking and developing innovative solutions to critical social needs.
Now in our 82nd year, we are one of the largest social service agencies in Toronto, serving 37,000 people each year. We’re a group of diverse individuals who value respect, excellence, compassion, integrity, and team work.