West Neighbourhood House, formerly St. Christopher House, is a multi-service, neighbourhood-based agency that has served the diverse communities of downtown west Toronto since 1912. The central purpose of West Neighbourhood House is to enable less-advantaged individuals, families and groups in the community to gain greater control over their lives and community.
We are seeking a Piano and Voice Teacher to provide individual lessons to students in the Music School Program located at 248 Ossington Avenue, at Dundas Street.
West Neighbourhood House is actively seeking applications from Indigenous, Black and People of Colour, people with disabilities, women and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions. Applicants with lived experience as a participant of West Neighbourhood House programs, or related programming from similar organizations, are also strongly encouraged to apply.
West Neighbourhood House will provide accommodation throughout the recruitment & selection process to applicants with disabilities. During any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate the nature of any accommodation(s) you may require. Any information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
- Provide an open, student-based learning environment to students of all ages.
- Provide instruction in related music theory and ear training where appropriate; motivate and support students in learning and performing.
- Keep accurate time sheets, attendance records and documentation regarding students’ progress when necessary.
- Foster students’ self-discipline and continued interest in the instrument; being sensitive to students’ needs and learning styles, and reporting to the Coordinator any perceived or potential issues affecting the students’ lives;
- Participate in program and concert planning, and other West Neighbourhood House activities as required.
- Must be punctual and prepared for teaching.
- Consult and communicate with parents when appropriate.
- Bachelor of Music, A.R.C.T. or equivalent accreditation, teaching or musical experience. Consideration will be given to candidates in 3rd or 4th year of a Bachelor of Music program, contingent upon proof of ongoing study in performance or pedagogy.
- Well-developed verbal and cross-cultural communication skills as well as an ability to effectively provide instruction to students of varying ages, abilities/disabilities who may be from varying linguistic, ethno-cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Understanding of children’s developmental and learning needs.
- Ability to work independently and within a team and to effectively prioritise and organize work is essential.
- Previous teaching experience and knowledge of a second language is an asset.
Status: Permanent Part-Time
Start Date: April 2023
Rate: $22.34 + 5% vacation pay, 6% In Lieu of Benefits
Unit: Newcomer & Family Programs
Immediate Supervisor: Coordinator, Music School
Closing Date: March 28, 2023
CompensationRate: $22.34 + 5% vacation pay, 6% In Lieu of Benefits
How to ApplyPlease submit your cover letter and resume by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date to: Hiring Committee 248 Ossington Avenue Toronto, Ontario M6J 3A2 firstname.lastname@example.org
About West Neighbourhood House
West Neighbourhood House, formerly St. Christopher House, is a multi-service, neighbourhood-based
agency that has served the diverse communities of downtown west Toronto since 1912. The central purpose
of West Neighbourhood House is to enable less-advantaged individuals, families and groups in the
community to gain greater control over their lives and community.