Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Primarily: Artscape Bayside Lofts, Artscape Daniels Launchpad, Artscape Distillery Studios
Start Date: As soon as possible
Reporting to the Director of Facilities, the Building Operator will maintain the building and grounds for various Artscape residential properties. The Building Operator is based at the Artscape Bayside Lofts location, but will attend other locations mainly in the Lower East Side Core Neighbourhood. From time to time s/he might also undertake or assist with maintenance duties at other Artscape buildings. The work schedule may vary and may include weekends and/or evenings. The Building Operator will be required to be on-call. Unscheduled hours are paid with time off in lieu.
- Maintain the property in a consistently safe, clean and attractive condition.
- Provide access and guidance to contractors engaged in inspections, repairs, maintenance and capital improvements.
- Supervise the work of contracted cleaning services.
- Monitor and program building systems and inspect infrastructure systems, interiors and envelopes.
- Prepare and maintain building operations manuals, preventative maintenance schedules and work logs.
- Coordinate maintenance requests from owners and tenants.
- Report problems to the Director of Facilities.
- Maintain professional and cordial relationships with owners, tenants and members of the public.
- Maintain professional relationships with long term and occasional service providers under contract with Artscape.
- Occasional housekeeping duties.
- Provide occasional support for after-hours building emergencies.
- Conduct regularly scheduled fire safety alarm testing and drills.
- Assist other maintenance staff in larger maintenance repairs.
- Provide grounds maintenance around the buildings; sweeping/collecting garbage, all paths, parking areas and snow clearing (unless some or all of these services are provided by a contractor).
- Limited painting, drywall, electrical and plumbing repair.
- Maintain Artscape tools in good order.
- Put out garbage/recycling for collection.
- Assist other Artscape departments with set-up, load-in, load-out, furniture assembly.
- Train other Artscape staff.
- General troubleshooting.
- Experience and facility in a variety of hands-on property maintenance and construction skills including carpentry, plumbing, electrical wiring, roofing, flooring, framing, trim work, drywall, taping, painting and yard work is essential.
- An understanding of modern building systems and automation is essential.
- An understanding of institutional housekeeping and cleaning.
- Familiarity with current health and safety practices and requirements.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Strong analytical skills and good judgment.
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems.
- Experience in the non-profit sector, a background in arts and culture, and/or familiarity with Toronto’s arts community is considered an asset.
- Familiarity with green building and operation strategies is an asset.
- Class G driver’s license is an asset.
- Heavy lifting may be required on occasion.
- Relevant training includes WHIMIS, MOL, AODA, First Aid, and De-escalation training.
How to ApplyTO APPLY Please respond with:
- Specify where/how you found out about the opportunity
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position
- Your salary expectations
- A resume
About Toronto Artscape Inc.
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities.
Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighbourhood aspirations and philanthropic missions.
Since its beginning in 1986, Artscape has become recognized as an international leader in creative placemaking, a practice that leverages the power of art, culture and creativity to catalyze change, growth and transformation in communities. Artscape achieves its mission through developing and managing unique cultural facilities—including community cultural hubs, multi-purpose creative spaces and artist live/work projects—and delivering programs and services that promote creativity and cultural space development.
Our success is driven by our ability to work effectively across disciplines to align values, leadership, investment and public policy. We work constantly to expand our portfolio, share our expertise and advance the field, offering training, mentoring and coaching, and learning opportunities through our Creative Placemaking Lab and tools and resources on the Artscape D.I.Y. website.
For more information about Artscape, please visit artscape.ca.