Job Title: Communications Manager
Position Type: Full-Time
Department: Marketing & Communications
Reporting to: Director, Marketing & Communications
Artscape is currently seeking a Communications Manager to join our Marketing and Communications team to actively build profile and awareness of our Toronto-based, not-for-profit urban development organization, which is focused on making space for creativity and transforming communities.
As Artscape’s primary storyteller, the Communications Manager is responsible for developing integrated communications strategies, covering PR, media relations, internal communications, crisis communications and thought leadership, that build profile, engage key stakeholders and raise awareness of Artscape and its community cultural hubs city-wide. This role also manages the development and implementation of internal and external communications channels and tools, and supports the development of creative content and branded materials, ensuring communications across the organization align with Artscape’s brand attributes and key messages.
This role reports to the Director, Marketing and Communications and frequently interacts with all staff teams as a service agency for all departments, as well as with other key internal and external stakeholders.
This position is ideal for a highly motivated, multitasker with a strong PR and writing ability, who knows their way around the back-end of a WordPress site, and enjoys a fast paced, dynamic environment requiring interaction with multiple stakeholders.
- Develops, manages and implements proactive communications plans and strategies that raise awareness of all Artscape initiatives, events, projects and programs across its full range of communications channels, including the creation of all key corporate print and digital communications and marketing materials in support of corporate objectives (such as, external and internal e-newsletters, blogs, annual reports, brochures, publications, signage, etc.)
- Provides communications support and resources on organizational projects and initiatives to all staff teams, offering key messaging and communications best practices to ensure targeted, on-brand, effective and compliant communications
- Proactively cultivates and manages media relations, developing relevant, timely story ideas and media strategies that result in coverage; builds media contacts and maintains positive media and social media influencer relationships; responds to all media inquiries; coordinates internal resources to develop and broadcast strategic messaging and prepares key spokespeople with media briefings
- Monitors and shares daily media mentions, alerting senior management to public relations issues and threats and together with the Director, Marketing & communications strategizes appropriate responses
- Develops and publishes stories and content across a range of print materials, digital and social channels and ensures integration of storytelling content across all communications channels (web, enews, blogs, social) through management of an editorial calendar
- Creates and updates concise, on-brand, accurate and relevant corporate messages, ensuring they are aligned with Artscape values and communicated to all staff to enable consistent communication and brand compliance across the organization
- Writes, copy edits and proofs all communications documents and materials and writes and distributes press releases, factsheets, key messaging documents, official letters and speaking notes
- Develops communications KPIs and monitors, measures and evaluates communications outreach efforts, producing high-level quarterly and annual reports on the impact of communications and public relations activities
- Working with Director, Marketing & Communications and other staff teams, creates messaging and identifies opportunities for Artscape to demonstrate its thought leadership and advocacy on behalf of artists and the arts and cultural community with regard to urban creative placemaking
- Develops internal communications tools, such as newsletters, presentations and bulletins to engage and inform Artscape staff across the organization
- Acts as central administrator for all Artscape websites and blogs, maintaining back-end content management systems and staying abreast of trends and solutions for website management and webbased communications
- Ensures all digital properties are on-brand and regularly audited and that content & image updates are regularly applied to all sites; works with Creative Services Coordinator to ensure websites are in step with trends in web design related to UX.
- Liaises and manages relationships with photographers and other creative and technical vendors, as required
- Contributes to budget planning and other organizational planning and initiatives, as required
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or similar, or the equivalent mix of education and experience
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in strategic communications, or communications and parallel discipline(s)
- Superior creative and professional writing and content development abilities
- Experienced editor; with strong familiarity with proofreading, copy editing and editing standards and procedures (CP style)
- Excellent knowledge of PR practices and proven track record of success in developing PR and communications strategies
- Strong organizational skills and communications project management experience, including preparation and oversight of project timelines to ensure projects are completed on time, on brief and on budget
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and Excel, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop essential
- Proven skills in management of email marketing lists and execution of email campaigns using Mailchimp, Survey Gizmo, EventBrite (or similar platforms)
- Knowledge of advertising and marketing processes
- Knowledge of plain language guidelines, privacy legislation, accessibility legislation and guidelines for print, web, signage
- Strong proficiency in Google Analytics
- Strong understanding of trends and developments in digital communications technologies including web and social media
- Print and digital production experience
- Proven ability to manage social media communities using Hootsuite/Meltwater or other tools an asset
- Strong experience with website back-end content management and development platforms (ideally WordPress or other platforms) desired
- Knowledge of web hosting and domain registration (no coding required) an asset
- Knowledge of design, branding, brand development an asset
- Experience in video storytelling, editing and project management an asset
- Interest in and understanding of the Toronto arts community and issues related to city building and affordable housing an asset
- Team oriented
- Able to work independently
- Displays sound judgement
- Customer service oriented problem solving attitude
- Good listener
How to ApplyTO APPLY Please respond with:
- Specify where/how you found out about the opportunity
- Your salary expectations
- A resume
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position and how you found out about the employment opportunity
About Toronto Artscape
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities.
Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighbourhood aspirations and philanthropic missions.
Since its beginning in 1986, Artscape has become recognized as an international leader in creative placemaking, a practice that leverages the power of art, culture and creativity to catalyze change, growth and transformation in communities. Artscape achieves its mission through developing and managing unique cultural facilities—including community cultural hubs, multi-purpose creative spaces and artist live/work projects—and delivering programs and services that promote creativity and cultural space development.
Our success is driven by our ability to work effectively across disciplines to align values, leadership, investment and public policy. We work constantly to expand our portfolio, share our expertise and advance the field, offering training, mentoring and coaching, and learning opportunities through our Creative Placemaking Lab and tools and resources on the Artscape D.I.Y. website.
For more information about Artscape, please visit artscape.ca.