Development and Communications Officer
If you are passionate about helping young children reach their potential then Strong Start Charitable Organization has an exciting opportunity for you. We are dedicated to helping young children learn to read. This essential life skill is the great enabler to learning and future success in school and in life. As our Development and Communications Officer, you will promote our cause and share our impact with donors, program partners, community members, volunteers and literacy champions. We are an organization that is growing our programs and our impact as we expand to new communities in Ontario! It is an exciting time to join our team of inspired, talented professionals in this key role.
The successful candidate will be an energetic, responsible, self-starter who sets goals and works hard to achieve them. You will be well organized and have excellent time management and project planning skills. As a “people person” you will enjoy building relationships with your team members and with Strong Start’s valued, external stakeholders. You welcome opportunities to work collaboratively with others and also enjoy tasks where you can work independently with minimal supervision.
- Implement Fund Development Plan to increase revenues to support the strategic direction of Strong Start. Initiate and nurture relationships with foundations, corporate and individual donors as well as service clubs and other giving groups.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Director of Development to develop fundraising strategies, presentations and tools. Create audience-specific communications for print, PowerPoint and web.
- Initiate, manage and monitor foundation outreach/grant writing in collaboration with Executive Director, Director of Development and relevant contractors. Lead relationship building, follow-up and reporting.
- Maintain and enhance donor communications (letter writing, emails, phone calls, in-person meeting) to meet their preferences and expectations, while always ensuring the Strong Start brand is accurately represented. Ensure timely and personalized acknowledgement of donations. Track all donor related data, milestones and renewals.
- Research and evaluate the prospective donors, opportunities and external factors that exist for Strong Start in multiple regions as they pertain to fund development and the organization’s successful expansion. Make recommendations for both short-term and long-term strategies that will help ensure growth and sustainability.
- Seek out speaking opportunities at service clubs, group meetings, events and celebrations. Assess third-party events and curate Strong Start’s participation. Oversee the execution of special fundraising events hosted by Strong Start.
- Recognize and leverage opportunities to create stories of impact by engaging with parents, volunteers, program partners, donors and community champions.
- Using digital camera equipment and accessories provided to produce compelling subject and audience specific videos. This includes, finding the subject, storyboarding the video, filming on location and final editing.
- Digital media content creation and management. Working within Strong Start’s digital communications policy and strategies, create timely, compelling, informative and engaging content for both social media and the organization’s website. Engage with followers to enhance relationships, gather testimonials and find the next great story.
- University or College degree/diploma
- Proven track record and 3+ years’ experience in fundraising and donor relations
- Strong written communications skills that can be applied in a variety of ways for specific audiences
- Skilled in designing and delivering inspiring, engaging public presentations
- Highly skilled in Microsoft Suite (Power Point, Excel, Word, Office 365)
- Experience with digital marketing (social media, website content management, video production). Skills in using WordPress and Adobe Creative Cloud Suite (including Premiere Pro and Photoshop) would be an asset
- Must have reliable car
- Available to work occasional evenings or weekends at special events
- Must be able to safely lift 30 lbs.
This is a full-time role working approximately 40 hours per week with some additional work required on evenings and weekends, periodically.
CompensationSalary & Benefits (Group Insurance & Retirement)
How to ApplyApply online here. Strong Start welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
About Strong Start Charitable Organization
Strong Start® Charitable Organization is a registered Canadian charity that helps children learn to read. Our programs involve working with children directly in addition to providing resources for families to support the development of strong literacy skills. We work through partnerships with schools, community centres, educators, and volunteers to create lifelong readers. Together, we are helping young children reach their potential and strengthening communities.