Position Title: Get Moving! After-School Support Facilitator (2 positions)
Start and end date: September 2023 – June 2024
Benefits: Employee and Family Assistant Program
Hours: 15-20 hours per week
Location: School Sites
Hourly rate: $17.68/hour
Reports to: After School Program Coordinator
The After-School Support Facilitator provides planning and program support for the Get Moving! Program for children ages 6 to 12 years old with a focus on healthy active living. This program aims to improve health issues of newcomer children and youth by focusing on physical activity, health eating and wellness education. In addition, homework assistance, excursions and arts-based activities are planned for its participants. As we evolve and support our communities during the Covid-19 pandemic, we are currently offering programs online with a blended approach to in-person program delivery
- Assist lead staff to plan, develop and ensure activities are carried out that are culturally sensitive and appropriate for the physical, intellectual, and social development for children (ages 6- 12)
- Assist lead staff in planning and supervision of field trips/outings
- Attend to the physical and emotional needs of each participant
- Supervise participants at all times, and respond to emergency situations quickly and appropriately
- Work with other agency staff and community partners in implementing program activities and events
- Liaise with parents around program information, and respond to any questions or concerns
- Ensure awareness and understanding of program schedule, plans and requirements
- Program/activity preparation, purchase program supplies, set up and clean up
- Support in the preparation and serving of nutritional snacks to children
- Assist with program outreach activities
- Participate in NYCH trainings and meetings as required
- Additional support and duties as required
- Completion of, or working towards, post-secondary education in health, education, psychology, social work or related field and/or comparable work experience
- Current CPR and First Aid certification
Experience and Skills
- Must be available to work on weekdays between the hours of 1:30 pm to 6.00 pm
- Minimum 2 years demonstrated experience in facilitating programs for school aged children including components of providing homework help, creative arts and sports/physical activities
- Experience working with children and families from diverse cultures within an anti-discriminatory framework
- Passionate, energetic and committed to the healthy development of children
- Experienced in facilitating virtual programs with online learning tools such as Google classroom, Microsoft Teams, Zoom, etc.
- Highly motivated, positive attitude and ability to work well in a team
- Responsible, dependable and punctual, with ability to communicate timely with staff/supervisor
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills
- Good problem solving/conflict resolution skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (a second language is an asset)
- A successful clearance of criminal record verification will be required when necessary for the position.
- Candidates will be asked to declare their vaccination status during recruitment process. Successful candidates will be required to provide proof before or directly upon the start of their employment.
CompensationHourly rate: $17.68/hour Start and end date: September 2023 to June 2024 Benefits: Employee and Family Assistant Program Hours: 15 to 20 hours per week
How to ApplyPlease submit your cover letter and resume to the link below: https://nych.bamboohr.com/careers/120 Get Moving! After-School Program Support Facilitator - Hiring Committee North York Community House
About North York Community House
North York Community House (NYCH) is a dynamic community agency that has been working with residents of under-resourced and low-income neighbourhoods in northwest Toronto for over 30 years. We are committed to helping people move out of poverty in order to build strong, vibrant communities. We support new Canadians, children, youth and their families, seniors, and local residents in becoming active and engaged citizens who are able to thrive and become leaders in their own lives and communities.
At NYCH, we pride ourselves on working collaboratively and creating a supportive environment. We recognize the work we need to do to improve and are constantly striving to do so. Our team has shown incredible adaptability, strength, creativity, and dedication in serving our communities during the COVID-19 pandemic, and we continue to learn and grow, and innovate while dealing with the challenges of this new reality.