LOCATION: Remote (must be able to work GCC’s core hours 10 am – 3pm ET). Post-COVID must be able to travel within South Central Ontario to meet with staff and other stakeholders on a regular basis. Green Communities Canada currently has staff located in the following locations: Peterborough (head office), Hamilton, Toronto, and Ottawa.
ANTICIPATED START DATE: 15 June 2021
Green Communities Canada seeks a dynamic Executive Director to lead our organization to new successes. Given current financial challenges within the sector and the organization due to COVID-19, GCC requires an individual with extensive business development skills and a proven record in developing successful funding proposals. This work will be supported by an experienced administrative team, including a Director of Finance, and a strong team of Program Directors.
The Executive Director must be a team-oriented, innovative and collaborative leader who can continue to engage and inspire all stakeholders: staff, member organizations and the board. Building upon an outstanding legacy of environmental programming and delivery they will finalize our new strategic plan, and position GCC to meet the critical challenges and opportunities of the climate crisis.
· Strategic thinker, long-term planner and change maker
· Proven ability to develop multiple revenue streams
· Relationship builder with experience engaging a variety of stakeholders
· Committed to environmental and social justice with a passion for progress
· Knowledge of best practices in human resources and employee relations
· Effective communicator
Duties and Responsibilities:
Program Development (25%)
· Work with senior staff and member organizations to secure funding for the operation of the organization, including the expansion of current programs and the development of new ones
· Foster new and existing relationships with funders, municipalities, government agencies and partner organizations to increase the impact of our programs and our members
Financial Sustainability & Management (15%)
· Develop business, social enterprise, and fee-for-service opportunities to diversify our funding streams and create a more sustainable business model
· Collaborate with the Director of Finance in budget preparations, ongoing financial reviews, annual financial audit and required corporate reporting
Member Relations & Communications (20%)
· Strengthen and expand our national membership base
· Collaborate with the Member Engagement Manager on new member services
· Manage the Communications Coordinator in implementing the communications strategy
Human Resources (15%)
· Foster effective teamwork and communication at all staff levels and maintain our positive culture
· In conjunction with Program Directors, oversee human resources management functions
Strategy and Governance (15%)
· Work with the Board of Directors and staff to finalize and implement the strategic plan
· Oversee the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the organization’s programs and services in accordance with the strategic plan
· Report to the board and governance committees based on approved deliverables
Leadership and Advocacy (10%)
· Work with all levels of government and political parties to further the work of GCC’s collective
· Act as a spokesperson for the organization and continue to develop and strengthen its distinct voice as a national ENGO with a strong community presence.
· Experience in the Canadian environmental sector working on community-based climate action
· A collaborative working style, strong interpersonal skills, and enthusiasm for building bridges between and among key stakeholders
· Five or more years experience managing both programs and staff
· Proven multi-year track record of revenue development success
· Comfort and ability to work across different technologies and platforms
· Knowledge of the requirements of federal and provincial legislation applicable to Canadian charities and not-for-profit organizations
· French language skills (strong oral and written working ability)
· Strategic connections in the environmental sector and within diverse networks
· Proximity to South Central Ontario
GCC is committed to creating a workforce that reflects the diversity of the populations we serve. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including applicants from all cultures and backgrounds, racialized communities, diverse sexual and gender identities, and physical or mental abilities. We are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier-free. We also encourage applicants to self-identify if they wish to do so.
CompensationEMPLOYMENT: Full-time employment (37.5 hours/week; with flexibility in work schedule) SALARY RANGE: $90,000 - $100,000
How to ApplyHow to Apply: Qualified candidates are invited to submit the following materials in a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Executive Director”. 1. Cover letter: no more than 2 pages 2. Resume: no more than 2 pages 3. 15-30 second introduction video (please provide video link) Deadline: 23 April 2021, 5pm ET
About Green Communities Canada
Green Communities Canada (GCC) is a nationally incorporated non-profit association of 20 community-based environmental organizations working together for a vibrant, equitable and sustainable future. Our mission is to connect community-based climate action groups through a national network to share resources, inspire innovative programming, and elevate our collective impact.
GCC’s current program areas of focus are home energy efficiency, stormwater management and active transportation, with the aim to expand beyond these in the coming years. Member organization work cuts across additional program areas including waste, food insecurity, climate education, and youth engagement. GCC is in the process of strengthening our network infrastructure to ensure deeper member engagement, community connection and impact. We are committed to expanding our reach, both geographically and from a diversity perspective, and to advancing social justice in the sector.
GCC is governed by a national 12-member volunteer board of directors. We work closely with our charitable affiliate, Green Communities Foundation.
More information available here.