Communications Manager, Water and Plastics
Maternity Leave Position (1 year)
Position Type: Maternity leave position (1 year)
Location: Toronto or Ottawa
Salary: $52,000 – $60,000
Date Posted: June 16, 2022
Closing Date: July 11, 2022 (at 9am)
Environmental Defence is a leading Canadian environmental advocacy organization that works with government, industry and individuals to defend clean water, a safe climate and healthy communities.
POSITION SUMMARY & CORE EXPECTATIONS
We seek an experienced Communications Manager to develop and execute communications plans to advance change on environmental issues aligned with Environmental Defence’s mission. The focus of this position will be on water and plastic pollution issues. The ideal candidate will have experience with media relations, social media engagement, tracking and evaluating communications activities and strong project management skills. They need to be an excellent communicator, organized, work well under pressure, excel in a collaborative workplace, and have a keen eye for detail.
● Strategic Planning and Project Management:
- Develop and execute creative communications plans that include media relations, social media, and digital and traditional marketing
- Contribute to campaign plans and provide ongoing strategic advice to campaigners
- Develop and manage the communications portion of campaign budgets and work plans
- Support development team’s fundraising initiatives and other efforts to reach our organizational goals
● Communications Skills:
- Write and edit communications materials including blogs, website text, press releases, op-eds, newsletters, social media content, reports
- Manage the development of advertising and promotional materials such as social media ads, brochures, posters
- Develop media relations strategy (proactive and rapid response), pitch and coordinate media interviews, develop key messages, and train/brief spokespeople
- Social media strategy development, content creation and community management
- Track, measure and share communications best practices with other staff
● External Relationships:
- Develop relationships with key reporters and influencers
- Manage external suppliers in the development and design of promotional materials
- Work effectively with colleagues in other organizations/coalition partners
- 4-5 years experience as a communications professional, ideally in an area advancing social change
- Knowledge of environmental issues and the Canadian political system
- College or university degree in communications, journalism, public relations or marketing, or equivalent experience
- Excellent written, verbal and persuasive communication skills; excels at distilling complex subject matter into accessible information others can act upon; strong design eye
- Demonstrated success using social media and earned media relations to advance a campaign/program
- Strong project management, organization, work planning and time-management skills
- Knowledge of database programs (e.g. Engaging Networks), communications analytics and management tools (e.g. Google Analytics, Sprout Social, Meltwater), design programs and video/photo editing software (e.g. Adobe Suite, Canva)
- Bilingual French and English (written and spoken) an asset
- Commitment to Environmental Defence’s vision and mission
- Enthusiastic communicator who thrives in a fast-paced atmosphere, can meet tight deadlines and balance competing priorities
- Strong interpersonal skills, including team-building, facilitation and conflict resolution
- A creative thinker who can come up with innovative ways to reach new audiences and/or engage supporters
- A media savvy professional who enjoys keeping up with the latest news on key issues
- Creative problem-solver with a strong work ethic and keen attention to detail
- Flexible, motivated, and results-oriented; willing to work late or weekends when rapid response is required
This is a full time, maternity leave position. We offer a benefits package after a 3-month probationary period.
Applications will be accepted until July 11 at 9:00 am.
How to apply:
Include your resume and a cover letter detailing your communications experience and how it relates to this role.
Send your application by email to email@example.com. Include “Communications Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Environmental Defence embraces equity and diversity and is committed to a workplace that is enriched by the people, needs and desires of Canada’s diverse community. We thank all candidates in advance for their application, but only those contacted for an interview will receive a reply.