Job Title: Managing Director, reThink Green
Contract Term: November 2017 – December 2018 (Maternity leave replacement)
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Salary Range: $47,000 – $52,000/year
Reports to: reThink Green Board of Directors
reThink Green’s mission is to bring together ideas, partners and resources to build a sustainable community. Our vision is for a Greater Sudbury continuously striving towards true sustainability – in which the well-being of the global and local environment, the health and happiness of the residents and a prosperous economy are properly balances and in harmony.
The Managing Director joins a senior staff team of the Program Director and Communications & Engagement Director to lead reThink Green while the Executive Director is on maternity leave. The Managing Director’s role is to continue the current growth trajectory while maintaining the financial health and long-term sustainability of the organization.
Financial and Funding Management (40%)
- Monitor and manage financial health and long term sustainability of organization.
- Allocate budgets for human resources, communications, programs and operations.
- Supervise bookkeeper, audit preparation, banking and act as a signing authority.
- Do grant reporting and manage funder relationships.
- Coordinate grant identification, capability assessment, and mission alignment with the senior staff team
- Coordinate grant request writing, submission and follow-up with the senior staff team
Human Resources (25%)
- Day-to-day human resource management: staff supervision, contract management, vacation approval, performance evaluation, professional development.
- Lead the hiring process: preparing job descriptions, postings jobs, sorting resumes, interviewing candidates, onboarding new staff.
- Prepare applications for funded internships.
- Manage student academic placements.
Program and Partnership Management (25%)
- Manage, administer and incubate community projects (Shared Platforms) and conduct an impact assessment of these projects.
- Manage long-term and short term users and bookings of our co-working space (The Forge) and the board room (Green Room).
- Manage and maintain current partnerships, including contracts and memorandums of understanding.
- Advise the board about new partnership opportunities.
- Assist with capacity assessment for new projects.
- Report to the board about programs, finances, membership, and grants.
- Report to the board on progress towards the strategic pan.
- Annual reporting to the membership at the Annual General Meeting.
Office Management (5%)
- Manage accounting and insurance contracts.
- Manage web hosting, contact database, telecom and IT systems.
- Manage office equipment, furniture and supplies.
- Cleaning and custodial supervision.
Education, skills and experience
- Post-secondary education in a related field or equivalent experience in a professional environment.
- A minimum of three (3) years in non-profit management or related professional experience.
- Experience in funding and financial management, human resource management, and program management.
1) Leadership Skills: Ability to plan, strategize, set goals, develop work plans, work efficiently and track progress; strong ability to work independently; ability to multi-task and assist with multiple projects and initiatives; initiative to explore new ideas and create new opportunities; ability to make decisions and resolve problems.
2) Communication Skills: Excellent communication skills (oral and written); ability to deliver convincing presentations, speak to media and facilitate meetings; knowledge of effective communication tools and engagement strategies; English-French bilingualism considered a significant asset.
3) Interpersonal Skills: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of clients to meet or exceed their expectations. Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions. Ability to delegate tasks and supervise staff effectively.
4) Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and adapt to a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Ability to learn new technologies and master new skills.
CompensationSalary Range: $47,000 - $52,000/year
How to ApplyPlease send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Interviews will begin October 1st 2017 and continue until the position is filled. While we thank all applicants, only those invited for an interview will be contacted.
About reThink Green
reThink Green brings together ideas, partners and resources to build a sustainable community in Northeastern Ontario and beyond. Current projects include Green Connect (an online engagement platform), The Forge (a social enterprise co-working space), the Greater Sudbury Earth Day Festival, and its new flagship program Green Economy North. Green Economy North is business support program for organizations looking to meet environmental sustainability targets, providing the networks, resources and expertise needed to set goals and be recognized for progress made. By bringing together the community, businesses and government, reThink Green promotes creative collaboration and dialogue about local and global environmental issues.