Department: Strategy, Policy, Research
Reporting to: Associate Director, Policy and Advocacy
Salary: $73K-$74K CAD
Location: Remote (Candidates based in British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Nova Scotia or willing to relocate)
WES Canada is seeking a Manager, Policy Advocacy, with strong policy analysis and stakeholder relations skills to join our social impact team. We are looking for someone who is committed to and passionate about the mission of WES to help people learn, work, and thrive in new places and to help society recognize the value of people’s education and experience.
If you are motivated to use your policy, advocacy, and stakeholder engagement skills to improve the labour market outcomes of immigrants, refugees, and international students, then this may be the right opportunity for you. Your strong skills and advocacy orientation will help the team to drive the WES social impact agenda forward.
The Manager, Policy Advocacy will be part of a team working to create systems changes that allow immigrants, refugees, and international students to make full use of their education, experience, and competencies in the Canadian labour market. The role supports initiatives related to global mobility, workforce development, equity, and skills commensurate labour market inclusion. Areas of focus may include internationally educated health professionals, immigrant youth, international students, and refugees.
The purpose of this role is to support the capacity of WES Canada to engage in advocacy and influence policy/program solutions to advance the social impact goals of WES: to enable individuals and to drive systems change. The role supports initiatives related to global mobility, workforce development and equitable, skills commensurate labour market inclusion for skilled immigrants and refugees, and international students.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Policy Advocacy, the Manager is responsible for providing analysis and research, developing policy advocacy positions, supporting stakeholder engagement, and coordinating policy advocacy tables and campaigns. In addition to general support to the WES social impact agenda, each Managers portfolio may include a focus on specific groups including internationally educated health professionals, immigrant youth, international students, refugees or other directly affected groups.
Duties include, but not limited to:
Policy Analysis and Research
- Monitor research, news, policy, programs, legislation, and other information relevant to migration to Canada, international students, and skilled immigrant labour market integration; identify trends, developments and opportunities on issues, programs, and policies relevant to WES’ work
- Conduct research, literature reviews, produce in-depth environmental scans
- Consult stakeholders through meetings, focus groups, surveys etc. to inform policy advocacy positions
- Provide analysis and develop policy advocacy positions and recommendations related to program or policy change
- Develop policy-related materials for a range of audiences: reports, position papers, briefing notes, submissions, talking points, blogs, and other materials
- Collaborate in the development of the WES Canada research agenda and annual workplan
- Support the development and delivery of original research, carried out by WES or in collaboration with external partners
- Advise on and participate in design of surveys of WES applicants, focus groups with directly affected groups
- Provide expertise in quantitative and qualitative analysis and interpretation of data; use appropriate data visualization tools to present information
- Presenting and sharing information with internal and external stakeholders
Stakeholder Engagement and Coordination
- Support stakeholder engagement work in areas of WES policy research and advocacy
- Identify new potential partners and develop relationships with stakeholders
- Participate in stakeholder meetings and provide support including coordination, planning, notetaking, follow up including salesforce tracking
Project and Operations
- Project management of research, policy, and stakeholder initiatives through work-planning, managing critical paths, tracking, and reporting
- Support social impact planning and evaluation activities including tracking, reporting, and reflection on activities
- Assist in the development and implementation of specials projects as assigned and perform other duties as and when required
The ideal candidate will have:
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills; proven ability to create and deliver presentations; experience presenting to and liaising with senior leadership
- Strong research and analytical skills (Demonstrated abilities to carry out quantitative research, data analysis, and data visualization an asset)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong knowledge and background in one or more of the following areas: immigration and refugee issues; economic integration of skilled migrants; post-secondary education and international students; international migration and education agreements; competency assessment; occupational regulation and licensing
- Ability to navigate in evolving and changing situations to meet goals and objectives
- Strong project management skills and the capacity to manage multiple tasks and projects at once
- Ability to incorporate internal and external stakeholder input and feedback
- Ability to work collaboratively with and support other team members and partners to advance shared goals and projects
- High-level computer proficiency MS Office suite (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), cloud-based systems, Teams and other common digital work tools. (Experience with Salesforce, Tableau is an asset)
- Master’s degree in public administration, international relations, political science, knowledge management or other relevant social science field, or an acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least 3 years of relevant, hands-on policy and research experience
- Work experience and/or subject matter expertise in workforce development and skills-commensurate labour market inclusion of immigrants in one or more of the following: internationally educated health professionals, international students, immigrant youth, immigrant women, employer engagement in immigrant inclusion
- Office environment and/or remote work
- Fast paced environment with multiple projects and deadlines
- Based in Ontario, with occasional travel within Canada and US (as travel conditions allow)
WES values diversity in all its forms and recruits qualified individuals at all occupational levels that reflect the diversity of our clients and our community. We strive to foster a workplace in which all individuals maximize their potential, regardless of their differences. We are committed to providing accommodations for person with disabilities. If you require an accommodation to complete this application, we will work with you to meet your needs. Please contact Human Resources. Accommodation may be provided at all stages of the hiring process.
CompensationSalary: $73K-$74K CAD
How to Applyhttps://recruiting.ultipro.com/WOR1020WEDU/JobBoard/e69cea0c-67ff-4625-8ec3-58d077d22d6b/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=e292f80c-defb-4b7f-8e7c-f7b463ea8476 Please click and apply on the above link.
About World Education Services
World Education Services (WES) is a social enterprise dedicated to helping international students and professionals achieve their educational and professional goals in the U.S. and Canada.
For over 40 years, we have set the standard of excellence in the field of international mobility with our credential evaluations, research and consulting services, and ongoing support for international students and skilled immigrants. We have provided evaluations to more than 1,000,000 people worldwide. Our evaluations are widely recognized by more than 2,500 educational, business, and governmental institutions throughout the U.S. and Canada.
Our mission is to help people learn, work and thrive in new places by enabling society to recognize the value of people’s education and experience.
If you have a desire to help us grow and further our social impact that will enable millions more internationally educated students and professionals integrate successfully in Canada, we’d love to hear from you.