The Toronto Foundation for Student Success (TFSS) helps students in need. We address issues of poverty, hunger and poor nutrition and their effect on education. We continually search for new ways to help children overcome barriers to success in school. The TFSS is an independent, registered charitable organization dedicated to supporting Toronto District School Board (TDSB) children and helping to remove barriers to their education.
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Senior Accountant will be responsible for successfully managing a team of employees and will be responsible for the following key areas.
- Oversee the donations collection and tax receipting processing.
- Oversee the Accounts Payable transactions within the team to ensure proper approval and supporting documentation is provided.
- Prepare invoices and Accounts Receivable reports to enable timely Accounts Receivable collection.
- Oversee bank reconciliations for multiple bank accounts and investigate any abnormalities.
- Manage general ledger activity including journal entries and monthly account reconciliation and closing procedures.
- Oversee payroll processing including data preparation, input and completing appropriate government remittances and reconciliations, ensure payroll liabilities are accurately recorded.
- Prepare GST/HST returns and other government filings.
- Support the Finance team to prepare and maintain accurate, complete and up-to-date accounting records on a timely basis.
- Participate in implementing and enforcing internal control policies and procedures and improve efficiencies.
- Prepare and assist with financial analysis and reports to departments and external funders.
- Oversee the payroll functions, benefits, vacations, contracts and payroll filings with government.
- Assist the Director of Finance with ad hoc projects as needed.
- Successful completion of a post-secondary degree or diploma in Accounting
- Professional CPA designation and a current member in good standing
- A minimum of 4+ years of previous work experience as an Accountant, preferably in the non-profit industry
- Knowledge of ASPE is required; knowledge of ASNPO is an asset
- A high degree of sensitivity and professionalism with respect to the management of confidential information
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft 365 (Word, SharePoint, Teams) are required
- Experience working with accounting systems is required; experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge and Raiser’s Edge is an asset
- Experience using ADP Workforce Now is an asset
- Strong analytical abilities, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to adapt to new and proprietary technologies and processes
- Previous experience working in multi-disciplinary teams and with employees at all levels
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment meeting tight deadlines
CompensationThe annual salary for this position is $70,000.
How to ApplyIf you are interested in applying for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to Susan Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Connectjobs Posting – Senior Accountant”. No phone calls, please. The TFSS is committed to maintaining a learning and working environment which actively promotes and supports human rights and accessibility for people with disabilities. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. To learn more about who we are and what we do, please visit our website at www.tfss.ca.
About Toronto Foundation for Student Success
Our mission is to remove barriers for children so that every child is nourished and able to learn. By providing food, medical care, emergency funds and after-school programs for children in need, we help them succeed in school.
Founded in 1998, the Toronto Foundation for Student Success (TFSS) is an independent, registered charitable organization dedicated to supporting Toronto District School Board (TDSB) children and helping remove barriers to their education.
We believe that if we improve the health and well-being of our children they will do better in school, and if they do better in school then they will have a better future: last year, with support from many wonderful partners, we invested more than 22 million dollars in that future. Learn more about the programs we provide