The Studio Technician is responsible for the safe, efficient, and effective functioning of the Woodworking/Digital Fabrication/Electronics Studios, based upon established Artscape Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), and under the direction of the Manager, Creative Studios. Responsibilities include appropriate use of the Studios by members, providing both operational and member support for the creative use of tools and equipment, health and Safety, creative/technical learning programs, ensuring a safe and inclusive environment, supporting the execution of products, and facilitating creative learning pathways to other ADL studios and services.
Artscape Daniels Launchpad (ADL) is the first Creative Entrepreneurship Centre that will be opening in Toronto later in the year. The ADL Creative Studios department is composed of specialized studio facilities covering a wide range of creative disciplines, including textiles and fashion, fine metals and jewelry, digital media, woodworking, electronics, digital fabrication, and photography. Each studio in the department is specially designed to achieve optimum use of state of the art creative equipment.
The Studio Technician will report directly to the Manager, Creative Studios, will take direction from the Lead Studio Technicians (on behalf of the Manager, Creative Studios), and will collaborate frequently with other Studio Technicians as well as other departments such as Operations, Memberships, Events, Programs, and Partnerships.
This position is ideal for a highly creative, imaginative candidate with strong technical and creative knowledge, interpersonal skills, with an interest in and aptitude for providing both operational and practitioner support. To be successful in this role, you’ll need an expert understanding and command of art and design processes pertaining to the Woodworking/Digital Fabrication/Electronics disciplines.
- Participate in the installation of equipment for the Woodworking/Digital Fabrication/Electronics Studios
- Assist with the maintenance, storage, and cleaning of specialized woodworking, digital fabrication, and electronics tools, equipment, and studio spaces, ensuring health and safety standards are complied with, and in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Help the Lead Studio Technician facilitate the delivery of member creative projects by providing effective instructional support for use of tools and equipment within the studios to ensure appropriate use of the studios by members in the following labs:
- Woodworking: jigsaws, drills, sanders, routers, band saws, mitre saws, drill presses, scroll saws, and panel saws
- Electronics: oscilloscope, multimeter, function generator, microscope, waveform generator, breadboard, driver set, Arduino, and Raspberry Pi
- Digital fabrication: laser cutters, 3D printers, vacuum formers, and vinyl cutters
- Fully understand, and help communicate to members and staff, Health and Safety standards and protocols, appropriately tracking necessary documents and processes for both members and staff (adhering to JOHSC compliance)
- Collaborate with ADL’s technical consultants and in-house staff to develop studio-specific operations checklists and manuals ensuring compliance with internal procedures and health, safety and building regulations
- Contribute to the development of technical curriculums for the Studio Technical Programs, and based on these curriculums, provide technical instruction and evaluation of members on the safe, efficient, and effective use of tools and equipment within the Studios
- Assist the Lead Studio Technician keep an up-to-date inventory of all consumable and non-consumable materials and equipment within the Studios, ensure all materials are in compliance with the Ontario Health and Safety Act, and facilitate consumable sales to members, as well as tracking, and ordering of consumables
- Assist with the creation, maintenance, and review Standard Operating Procedures for Studio spaces
- Facilitate a sign in-out and/or rental system for equipment
- Collaborate on creating and maintaining a database of external technical specialists as a resource for members
- Help monitor member capacity in the Studios and update booking calendars
- Support Lead Studio Technician as a point of contact for member enquiries regarding bookings and technical issues pertaining to the Studios
- Provide technical support for, and connect members to, Launchpad staff and resources (including other Launchpad studios)
- Maintain a respectful and mindful studio culture in shared spaces that emphasizes best practices, professionalism, proper stewardship of equipment and resources, and upholds the Respect in the Workplace policy of Artscape Daniels Launchpad
- Responsible for staying current on traditional and digital equipment, tools, materials, and processes
- Provide support to Lead Studio Technician to identify efficiencies and improvements in work processes that benefit organization-wide
- Undertake administrative duties as required
- 2-4 years as a studio technician in Woodworking/Digital Fabrication/Electronics studio/lab spaces, and/or an equivalent combination of professional experience and training
- Must possess strong knowledge of art, design, creative studio production, and experience in various technical studio needs
- Must possess a high level of experience, knowledge, skills, and expertise, in the tools, equipment, and processes used in either Woodworking, Digital Fabrication, and/or Electronics Studios, with an aptitude and willingness to quickly learn the skills necessary to effectively serve as a technician in all these studios
- Comfortable juggling multiple and/or conflicting priorities, and a rigorous and empathetic communicator, collaborator, and troubleshooter
- Experience using software, programming, and digital design tools associated with the woodworking, digital fabrication, and electronics industries, such as AutoCAD, Rhino, Solidworks, 123D Suite, Arduino (IDE), Raspberry Pi, open source coding, and Adobe Suite, as well as strong knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Defaults to planning and processes, but comfortable in chaos and rapid timelines
- Fluent in verbal and written English, with knowledge of a second language considered an asset
- Strong ability to assist members working in an interdisciplinary manner from concept to fabrication
- An understanding and interest in the research and work necessary to create more sustainable practices in this field, including familiarity with wide range of materials
- Experience with woodworking and digital fabrication technologies related to art and design practice, and general electronics experience
This position will require moving and lifting of raw materials and equipment up to 50 pounds.
This position also requires the willingness to work evenings and weekends.
- Proven experience and commitment to customer service in facilities with high volume use, as well as highly organized, with clear written and verbal communication
- Experience in and commitment to fostering a collaborative and inclusive work environment supporting a diverse range of practices and backgrounds
- Proven track record of working well with people from diverse cultural backgrounds, professional training, and aesthetic sensibilities in a creative environment
How to ApplyTO APPLY Please respond with: Specify where/how you found out about the opportunity Your salary expectations A resume A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position and how you found out about the employment opportunity Please note: Submissions must include all requirements listed above, including your salary expectations. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applications will be received in confidence by mail or email and should be forwarded to: Attention: Human Resources Artscape Suite 224, 171 East Liberty Street Toronto, ON M6K 3P6 email@example.com (please note your name and the job title in the email subject line) No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly. Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape.
About Toronto Artscape Inc.
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities.
Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighbourhood aspirations and philanthropic missions.
Since its beginning in 1986, Artscape has become recognized as an international leader in creative placemaking, a practice that leverages the power of art, culture and creativity to catalyze change, growth and transformation in communities. Artscape achieves its mission through developing and managing unique cultural facilities—including community cultural hubs, multi-purpose creative spaces and artist live/work projects—and delivering programs and services that promote creativity and cultural space development.
Our success is driven by our ability to work effectively across disciplines to align values, leadership, investment and public policy. We work constantly to expand our portfolio, share our expertise and advance the field, offering training, mentoring and coaching, and learning opportunities through our Creative Placemaking Lab and tools and resources on the Artscape D.I.Y. website.
For more information about Artscape, please visit artscape.ca.