Reporting to the Executive Director, the Manager of Finance ensures the effective and efficient administration of the financial systems at ROS. The Manager is a member of the leadership team and maintains ongoing relationships with government bodies and other funding groups. Specific responsibilities include financial management and planning for not-for-profit charitable organization.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advise and assist with the development, implementation, and administration of internal financial controls, financial management and accounting policies and procedures.
- Prepare the annual operating budget by funders and in coordination with ROS Managers, Executive Director, Finance Committee and the Board.
- Develop budget for funding/grant proposals.
- Ensure the efficient, effective and timely operation of accounting and financial management systems.
- Prepare reports for annual external audit and liaise with auditors.
- Prepare monthly and annual financial statements and analyses and other financial reports as required.
- Report monthly and annual financial statements to the Finance Committee and Board.
- Compare actual to budgeted for performance and investigate significant variances.
- Monitor cash-flow and ensure investment options and considerations are addressed with Finance Committee Record and maintain all accounting transactions in QuickBooks.
- Prepare bi-weekly payroll and liaise with provider to distribute payment. Manage monthly payroll remittances, Workers Compensation and Employee Heath Tax payments.
- Reconcile banks and QuickBooks to Donor Management system monthly.
- Prepare HST Rebate twice per year.
- Assist with Property Tax rebate application yearly.
- Serve as the staff support to Board Working Groups (of member volunteers) regarding finances.
- Attend meetings involving financial expertise, as assigned.
- Other administrative financial duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- CPA designation an asset, number of years and type of work experience considered.
- 3-5 years working in the not-for-profit sector an asset.
- Thorough working knowledge/experience using Quickbooks is essential.
- Complete understanding of an annual financial audit process.
- Ability to produce comprehensive organizational budgets.
- Proven analytical skills and the ability to interpret and explain financial reports to staff, board and outside stakeholders.
- Demonstrated strategic planning abilities in forecasting the financial implications of changing funding, program, service and environmental requirements.
- Demonstrated accuracy and attention to details and as well as large picture.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and independently.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated expertise in Excel, Spreadsheets and accounting QuickBooks software application.
- Flexible and cooperative approach to working with others.
- Non-judgmental, positive and caring attitude with sensitivity to the impact of the social, economic, environmental and cultural issues of our participants.
- Respectful of agency values.
- Some travel will be required to satellite offices, meetings, conferences and seminars.
- The incumbent will have to spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. The incumbent may also have to do some light lifting of supplies and materials from time to time.
CompensationINDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR SERVICE CONTRACT: 22.5 hours per week service contract at $45/hour
How to ApplyPlease submit your resume, and covering letter describing why you are a unique fit for this position, citing Manager of Finance in the subject line of your message to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants for their interest. We will contact only those selected for an interview. For more information about Rose of Sharon, please visit our website at www.roseofsharon.com. Applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants who provide an email address may receive their written correspondence with respect to this job posting directly to the email address provided. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly to receive this correspondence. ROSE OF SHARON IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. We encourage people of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, gender identities and sexual orientations to apply. In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in applying for this position, please email us at: email@example.com and identify the job title in the subject line.
About Rose of Sharon Services for Young Mothers
For 35 years, Rose of Sharon Services for Young Mothers has provided free supportive programs and educational services in York Region annually to 300 vulnerable prenatal and parenting youth mothers (14-29 years) while they build greater stability in the lives of their children.
Our programs empower young mothers to embrace their strengths, build parenting skills, increase child development knowledge and develop their personal capacity to overcome barriers. Offered online and on-site in a welcoming, safe and inclusive space - youth parents set goals and work toward building the future they envision for themselves and their children.