Manager Local Economic Opportunities
Permanent, Full Time
From Canada’s big cities to its remote land, waters, and rural communities, Tides Canada provides uncommon solutions for the common good.
Our mission is to help Canadians secure a healthy environment in ways that promote social equity and economic prosperity. To tackle the complex social and environmental problems that we face in Canada today, Tides Canada provides strategy, expertise, and tools to ensure change-makers can get from vision to impact.
East Scarborough Storefront (The Storefront) is a project on Tides Canada’s Shared Platform.
The Storefront’s uses an innovative Connected Community Approach to improve the wellbeing of people in the inner-suburban community of Kingston Galloway Orton Park (KGO).
The Storefront is a Community Backbone Organization, as such we facilitate collaboration, build community and support people to learn and create together, to live healthy lives, to find meaningful work, to play and thrive.
The Manager of Local Economic Opportunities facilitates and aligns processes and initiatives so that local institutions, organizations and businesses are supported to create and implement effective local hiring strategies.
This position requires strategic vision and comprehensive knowledge of the principles of community development, demand-led workforce development, the key social and economic issues facing inner-suburban communities and network leadership.
Key Responsibilities include
- Use the Connected Community Approach to ensure that all players involved in local hiring strategies are connected with each other, resources and information through convening, co-ordinating and communicating
- Use relationships, data and communication to align the goals and aspirations of a number of cross-sector players to achieve collective outcomes
- Connect local workforce development strategies to broader movements and systems with similar or compatible goals
- Manage initiatives and projects that are designed to improve local hiring systems and remove barriers so that local organizations, institutions, and businesses can benefit from local hiring strategies
- Ensure that a database of local employers and their current and potential hiring needs is maintained
- Work with institutions, organizations and local large scale businesses on hire local strategies
- Oversee employment incentive programs administered by The Storefront
- Ensure that local businesses/employers have accessible information about opportunities available to enhance their capacity
- Write funding proposals, reports and learning documents as required
Labour Market Analysis
- Develop a strong understanding of dominant and emerging trends in employment in East Scarborough
- Take a proactive and asset-based approach to supervision and team development in accordance with Storefront philosophy, principles and policies
- Help the team respond positively to a dynamic and emergent community, sector and organizational environment
- Play an active role on The Storefront’s management team
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in building partnerships or networks/community outreach and development/job development or equivalent relevant experience
- Familiarity with workforce development and the strategic use of labour market information
- Experience providing leadership and direction to others
- Experience in community development, monitoring and evaluation with strong planning, priority setting and organizational skills
- A welcoming, respectful and enthusiastic approach to working with people
- A personal commitment to The Storefront’s aims and objectives and an understanding of or willingness to learn about The Storefront’s work
- A thorough understanding of community work, and a demonstrated ability to apply an empathetic and holistic approach to working with community members and partners
- Willingness to work flexibly in approach to work and/or work time requirements
- Ability to think strategically and link individual actions to larger goals
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to accurately manage details
- Comfort with group and workshop facilitation
- Strong computer proficiency
- Minimum 2 years of post-secondary education in a relevant field
Full time Monday to Friday, schedule to be determined, occasional evening and weekend work required.
For more information about The Storefront and Tides Canada, please visit:
As The Storefront is on Tides Canada’s Shared Platform, the selected candidate will be an employee of Tides Canada.
Tides Canada is strongly committed to creating a diverse workplace environment and we welcome and encourage applications from the communities we serve.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Our sincere appreciation to all those expressing interest in the position, however,only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest!
No phone calls or recruiters please
How to ApplyHow to Apply
- Please forward your resume and cover letter by Monday October 30th to: Anne Gloger at email@example.com
- Please note: Selected candidates will be required to attend a screening on November 7th from 10:30-12:00